Terms & Conditions
Wicked Young Writer Awards RULES
WICKED Young Writer Awards COMPETITION RULES 2017
1. These rules (the "Rules") relate to the competition (the "Competition") for the Wicked Young Writer Awards (the "Award"). PLEASE READ THESE RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING THE COMPETITION. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR PARENT'S OR GUARDIAN'S CONSENT TO ENTER IF YOU ARE UNDER 18.
2. Further information on the Award can be found on the website at www.wickedyoungwriterawards.com (the "Website").
3. The Competition is run by WICKED London Production Limited ("WLPL").
4. By entering the Competition entrants will be deemed to have accepted the Rules and be bound by them.
5. The Competition opens on Friday 27th October 2017.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DEADLINE IS MIDNIGHT ON MONDAY 12 MARCH 2018. SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS TIME.
6. Entry to the Competition is free.
7. The Competition is open to young people between the ages of 5 and 25 years of age as at the Competition closing date who are resident in the UK excluding employees of WLPL or Competition judges (or members of their immediate families). There are 5 age categories for entry: 5-7 years old, 8-10 years old, 11-14 years old, 15-17 years old and 18-25 years old. WLPL reserves the right to ask for proof of age from entrants.
8. Entrants under 18 years of age must have permission to enter the Competition from a parent or guardian who will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the Rules. WLPL reserves the right to ask for proof of permission. Entries without permission will be disqualified.
9. The 5-25 year old fiction categories may comprise of stories, poems or drama. Entries for the FOR GOOD category should be an original essay or article. Each entry must be the entrant's own original work. Entries must be typewritten and no longer than 750 words. Entries may be accompanied by illustrations, but these will not be taken into account by the Competition judges. Entrants can submit multiple entries.
10. It is not necessary to have good spelling or grammatical skills to enter the Competition. Entries will be judged on originality and creativity, rather than how they are executed. The decision of the Competition judges is final.
11. Entries may be made by post or submitted online via the Website. Entries submitted online must be in Microsoft Word .doc or .docx format and the maximum file is 2MB. Entries cannot be returned.
12. Entries must be accompanied by a completed entry form. The entry forms for both postal and online entries are available on the Website. Entries may be made by individual entrants or by teachers on behalf of their pupils. There are different entry forms for individual and teacher entries made by post, and two online entry forms. Where multiple entries are made by a teacher all entrants must be in the same age category.
13. Each piece of work entered into the Competition must be marked with the entrant's name and age. Where multiple pieces of work are submitted by a teacher, each individual piece of work must also be marked with the school name and address.
14. A panel of teachers selected by WLPL (the "Panel") will review all entries and select the Competition finalists (the "Finalists"). There will be 20 Finalists from each age category and 20 finalists in the FOR GOOD category.
15. All finalists will have their entries published in a WICKED Young Writer Awards 2018 anthology (the "Anthology"), the proceeds from the sale of which may be put towards the continuation of the Award annually.
16. Finalists will be invited to attend an Award ceremony (the "Ceremony"), the date, time and location of which will be notified in advance. Failure to attend the Ceremony will not affect an entry's eligibility for the Award. Finalists must confirm whether or not they will attend the Ceremony by the date specified on the invitation. Failure to respond to the invitation will be treated as an inability to attend.
17. The date, time and location of the Ceremony may be subject to change at the discretion of WLPL.
18. The Finalists' entries will be judged by the Panel with the addition of Michael Morpurgo as chair. One winner will be chosen from each age category and one winner in the FOR GOOD category.
19. The 6 winners (the "Winners") selected by the judges will each receive the following prizes:
a. All winners will win four tickets to see the London production of WICKED at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, London and an opportunity to meet cast members after the show along with an exclusive backstage tour. Prize tickets are strictly subject to availability and are valid for a Monday to Friday 7.30 pm or Wednesday and Saturday 2:30 pm performance excluding school holidays.
20. The three schools that submit the highest number of entries as decided by the Competition judges will receive a bespoke Wicked workshop or school assembly.
21. All prizes are not transferable. No cash alternative is available for any prize.
22. WLPL reserves the right to cancel the Competition, to offer alternative prizes and to change the Rules at any stage.
23. In consideration for WLPL's acceptance of an entry and by submitting an entry to the Competition:
a. each entrant and (if an entrant is under 18) his or her parent or guardian gives WLPL permission to use and publish his or her entry to the Competition in any media and format throughout the world, including in the Anthology and in a gallery on the Website.
b. each entrant and (if an entrant is under 18) his or her parent or guardian waives all moral rights in his or her entry to the Competition; and
c. each entrant and (if an entrant is under 18) his or her parent or guardian warrants that nothing in his or her entry will infringe the copyright or any other intellectual property right of any third party or defame any third party.
24. Each Finalist agrees to sign a release form assigning copyright in his or her entry to WLPL and confirming the permissions, waivers and warranties given above. Finalists under the age of 18 will be required to obtain the signature of a parent or guardian on the release form.
26. Entrants to the Competition consent to the use by WLPL of their name, age and town of residence to announce the winners of the Competition and to identify entrants in any publication of an entry in accordance with the Rules. Entrants also consent to the use of their personal information by WLPL to contact Finalists and prize winners, to verify compliance with the Rules and for administration of the Competition. Finalists and Winners may be required to take part in publicity for the Award and the Competition.
27. Any questions concerning the Rules or the Competition may be directed to [email protected].
28. These Rules are governed by English law and the Courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes arising out of the Rules.